2013 BioCrossroads New Venture Competition presented by Krieg DeVault
Business plans should include the following sections: Business Overview; Market Opportunity; Market Solution; Market Overview; Technical/IP Analysis; Management Team and Financial Analysis. The bulleted items under each section below are examples of possible components of each section, not a template of required content.
· Company description and underlying business model
· Value proposition
· Technical status and challenges ahead
· Current firm status
· Investment requirement
· Current or committed funding and all funding sources
The Market Opportunity and Solution
· Why is it such a great idea? Define the problem
· Competitive analysis (how is the problem not being solved by competitors)
· The product or service idea
· Description of a working model or prototype, if appropriate
· Identification of customer(s)
· Discussion of channels for adoption or distribution
· Market size, analysis, and forecast
· Industry analysis and forecast including competing products or companies
Development Plan: Technical / Intellectual Property / Funding
· Outline the technical steps necessary for development
· What is the length of time required for development?
· How much will the development plan cost to execute
· Is development dependent on outside contingencies?
· What types of regulatory approval processes must be navigated?
· What are the risks of significant delay or failure?
· Intellectual property ownership
· Founders and key management
· Industry experience and education
· Board of Advisors, both technical and management
· Outline overall financial model with detailed projections through Year 5 including pro forma
cash flow and budget analysis
· Other analysis, as appropriate (net present value, break even analysis)
· Discuss assumptions and capital requirements